Abraham Bloodgood was born in Flushing, Long Island in 1742. He was the son of Francis and Mary Doughty Bloodgood. By the late 1760s, he had relocated to Albany - probably living with his older brother James Bloodgood.
By 1770, he was running a sloop on the Hudson River between Albany and New York and was carrying cargoes for Sir William Johnson and others. He was one of a few Albany skippers who ventured beyond the inland waterways. A cargo manifest for his sloop, the Olive Branch, which he sailed to the West Indies (Antigua) in November 1770, described the variety of exports he carried for a number of Albany-based businessmen.
These Bloodgoods made their home along the Albany waterfront. Abraham contributed money to the crusade for American liberties, served as bailsman for several individuals during the war, and later was awarded a land bounty right in conjunction with the Albany County militia. His first ward property began appearing on city assessment rolls in 1779. In 1781, he was identified as an innkeeper. By 1790, his substantial brick home along lower State street was an Albany landmark!
After the war, he served in Albany fire companies, stood with other Albany residents in opposition to the Federal constitution, and was appointed "clerk" in Albany in 1797. Additionally, he owned a portion of the tract of land that later became the city of Ithaca. He was a slaveowner but began freeing them in 1794. In 1800, his Albany household still housed three slaves.
Abraham Bloodgood filed a will in May 1797. It left Elizabeth to administer his estate and provided for its partition after her death. He died in February 1807 and was buried from the Presbyterian church.
He may have been married previously for in December 1760 a New York marriage license was granted for Abraham Bloodgood and Priscilla Ellis.
first posted: 4/15/03