Bernardus Bradt


Bernardus Bradt (also Barnardus) was born in September 1704. He was the son of Albany-based trader Daniel and Elizabeth Lansing Bradt. His father died during the 1720s.

In January 1735, Bernardus married eastern Albany native Catharina Van Vechten at the Albany Dutch church. By 1750, seven children had been christened in Albany.

Bernardus Bradt was an overland transporter and contractor who set up his home in the first ward where he was identified as a freeholder as early as 1742. In 1737, he is said to have occupied a property on South Pearl Street at the foot of Gallows hill with Gerrit Bradt.

He also held property in the eastern part of Albany County. In October 1741, Johannes Van Vechten conveyed "all of his lands" in the "Hosick" Patent to Bradt and two other sons-in-law. Bradt's heirs still held claim to that parcel into the nineteenth century. During the 1760s, he held a lease for land at Schaghticoke and another one in Rensselaerswyck. In 1767, he sold three slaves.

He performed some services for the city, was elected assistant alderman - first in 1746, and was the captain of the city's militia company during the 1750s and 60s. In 1751, he acquired a share of the cross-river ferry. He held that franchise for many years before his son, Daniel, joined him in 1758. His daughter, Maria, married future ferryman Thomas Lottridge.

In his seventies at the onset of hostilities, he had relinquished his militia commission. His support of the American cause was nominal and probably only financial. However, his sons were counted among Albany's patriots. After his holdings were assessed on the tax lists for 1779, the name of Bernardus Bradt appears to have dropped from Albany rolls.

According to subsequent litigation, "Barnardus Bradt" had died in 1786.

biography in-progress


the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of Bernardus Bradt is CAP biography number 4335. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.

first posted 9/15/06; updated 6/13/15