Henry B. Bradt
Henry B. Bradt was born in November 1750. He was the last child born to the marriage of Bernardus and Catharina Van Vechten Bradt. He grew up in the first ward home of a transporter and landholder who at one time shared the contract to operate the cross river ferry.
By January 1772 but perhaps not officially until more than a year later, he had married an Anna/Hannah David. By 1790, the marriage had produced nine children - some of whom were christened at the Albany Dutch church.
Although we have yet to connect him to specific wartime activities, afterwards, a "Henry Bradt" was granted land bounty right under the Albany militia regiment.
By 1788, the first ward house of Henry B. Bradt was valued on the city assessment roll. Two years later in 1790, his household included six boys under sixteen. In 1800, Henry and an older woman (perhaps he had re-married) still had three adolescent boys in their home. Anna probably was dead by that time as a receipt to Henry B. Bradt for funeral expenses for his wife from July 1794 is included in the Bradt family papers collection in the New York State Library.
In 1797, a list of freeholders for the first ward identified him as a "yeoman." Just after1800, his name no longer appeared on community-based documents.
By the time of publication of the first city directory in 1813, he seems to have left Albany. He seems to have held substantial land across the river in Greenbush. A "Henry B. Bradt" died in May 1823 and was buried in Hoosic. His estate took some time to be settled.
Sources: The life of Henry B. Bradt is CAP biography number 4240. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources. A "record" the offspring of Henry and Hanah Bratt (married December 15, 1773?) with information on the births of nine children is in the Bradt family papers collection at the New York State Library (Box 1, folder 22). The collection also includes a number of later real estate papers involving the holdings of Henry Bradt.
first posted: 10/20/08