John N. Bleecker

by


John N. Bleecker was born in August 1739. He was the son of Albany businessman Nicholas Bleecker, Jr. and his wife, Margarita Roseboom Bleecker. John N. lost his father in 1751 but his mother survived for more than forty years afterwards.

His wife was Margarita Van Deusen. Between 1776 and 1789, eight children were christened at the Albany Dutch church where he was a member and later a member of the Consistory.

John N. Bleecker set up his home on Pearl Street next to the house of his mother. Besides his residence, Bleecker owned many other properties in Albany including lots and storehouses and additional acreage beyond the city limits as well.

His long-term association with the Albany corporation began as a contractor during the 1760s. He was elected assistant alderman first in 1767 and served for several years. After the War for Independence, he served as alderman in the second ward for a number of years.

These Bleeckers were Albany mainstays for several decades. John N. Bleecker held leadership positions in many community organizations and was a member of an Albany militia company as well.

At the onset of hostilities in 1775, he was elected to represent the second ward on the Albany Committee of Correspondence . He served for the life of that organization. He also held a commission in a militia company. After the war, he was accorded a land bounty right.

John N. Bleecker had lost his wife in 1794. But aided by slaves and family members, he continued to maintain his Pearl Street home. He died in October 1825. His will passed probate on October 28. He had lived eight-seven years.


biography in-progress


notes

the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of John N. Bleecker is CAP biography number 204. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources. His papers have been collected at the New York State Library.




first posted: 6/20/06