Captain John Christie
by
Stefan Bielinski


"Captain" John Christie kept an inn along the road to Schenectady. He may have been the Lieutenant John Christy who served in the 60th Regiment of Foot in the British army in 1758 and 1765!

He married Albany spinster Margaret Barret at St. Peter's Anglican church in February 1760. The marriage appears to have been childless.

In May 1760, Captain Christie petitioned the Albany government for land at the "Sandbergh" - a location about two miles west of the core city. Two years later, John and his wife agreed with the Albany corporation to rent (for life) about ten acres near the Sandbergh at 40 shillings a year beginning in 1765. They agreed not to sell or rent any of it without consent.

Subsequent assessment rolls taxed his first ward home and his Sandy Hill property seperately.

His name is conspicuously absent from Revolutionary war-related records!

In 1790, his second ward home was configured on the city census. After that, the name of John Christie dropped from Albany rolls.

biography in-progress


notes

the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of John Christie/Christy/Cristy is CAP biography number 7613. This sketch is derived chiefly from community-based resources. With so many contemporary John Christies and without defining demographic information, this exposition is necessarily cautious!




Home | Site Index | Navigation | Email | New York State Museum


first posted: 3/20/04