Albany resident Patrick Clark probably was born during the 1720s. We seek information on his origins and path to Albany. His name appeared in an Albany merchant's account book in 1748. Over the next few years he maintained a business relationship with the Albany Ten Eycks. In August 1755, he travelled to New York on behalf of William Johnson. He was paid from provincial coffers for making two trips in "His Majesty's Service" in 1763.
By 1749, he had married Albany native Cornelia Waldron and was raising a family. Although he was a member of St. Peter's Anglican church, by 1769, their nine children had been baptized at the Albany Dutch church where Cornelia was a member.
These Clarks settled in the first ward of Albany where Patrick owned a home and at least two separate lots. He also may have leased additional real property from the city government. He was a frequent contractor of the municipal government - performing road work and otherwise using his horse and cart for city businesss. During the 1760s, he belonged to an Albany militia company. In 1775 and '76, he furnished firewood and supplies and performed repairs for the Albany Committee of Correspondence. As late as 1790, his home was a Southside landmark.
Patrick Clark was dead by April 25, 1796 when letters of administration were issued on his estate.
first posted 9/25/03; last updated 4/2/13