Spelled variously, John Geyer (sometimes Johan George or John G. Geier) probably was born during the 1740s. Several same-named individuals became prominent in American cities during the second half of the eighteenth century.
His wife's name was Susanna. Their daughter was christened at the Albany Lutheran church in April 1765. At least from 1786 on, both parents were members and pewholders at First Lutheran. He was church treasurer and later was called "the honest Mr. John G. Geyer" by a former pastor. He also was the church vorsinger or "chorister" for a number of years. In 1790, he was renting property on the "Lutheran Grounds" at thirteen pounds annually.
In 1788, his house and belongings in the first ward were valued on the Albany assessment roll. In 1790, his household including only one female was listed on the census. By 1800, he had relocated to Pearl Street where the census configured his household with a man and a women - both persons being born before 1756.
John Geyer was dead by July 26, 1809 when letters of administration were issued on his estate.
Sources: The life of John Geyer is CAP biography number 8169. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.
first posted: 5/30/08