Jurrian Hogan was born in 1693. He was the first child of soldier-turned-innkeeper William Hogan and his wife, Albany native Martina Becker Hogan. He grew up on the Southside surrounded by the Albany families of a number of former garrison soldiers.
He married Maria Beekman in 1714. Between 1718 and 1740, nine of their children were baptized in the Albany Dutch church. In 1732, six of those children were identified in the will of his parents. Later, Jurrian was identified as a communicant at St. Peter's Anglican church.
Following his marriage, Jurrian, or John as he sometimes was called, set up a home on Pearl Street in Albany's second ward. He also held land along Foxes Creek. In 1715, he was a member of an Albany militia company. In 1718, he served for a year as firemaster. His name also appeared on Albany voter lists in 1720 and 1742. In 1756, he was listed on the city census as Mr. Hogan and identified as a merchant.
In 1737, he was among those who witnessed the will of a neighbor.
An Albany mainstay for more than fifty years, Jurrian and Maria Hogan filed a joint will in May 1764. It named their seven children - six of whom were then living. The will passed probate two years later.
first posted 5/25/03; updated 8/20/13