Lucas Luycasse Hooghkerk
Stefan Bielinski

Lucas Luycasse Hooghkerk probably was born about 1660. We seek information on his origins and on when he first came to Albany. He seems to have been the first "Hooghkerk" to become an Albany resident.

In February 1686, "Lucas Lucasz Van Hooghkerken" married Hendrickje Jans at the Albany Dutch church. At that time, both were identified as of "New Albany." Hendrickje died after bearing two children. In November 1692, widower Lucas married Judik Marselis. That marriage produced eight more children who were baptized in the Albany church between 1693 and 1712. He was a church member and baptism sponsor.

In 1697, his modest home in the first ward was listed on a census of Albany householders. After unsuccessfully seeking to trade for furs, in 1728 he leased land (two acres) on Gallows Hill for use as a brick kiln. In 1730, that lease was set for fifty years. His descendants continued that business through the end of the century.

In 1709, his first ward property was valued on the city assessment roll. In 1715, he was identified as a private in Gerrit Roseboom's Albany company of the county militia. In 1720, his name appeared on a list of Albany freeholders.

Patriarch of the Albany Hooghkerk family, Lucas Luycasse Hooghkerk died in February 1741. He was buried from the Albany Dutch church where he was a long-time member.



the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of Lucas Luycasse Hooghkerk is CAP biography number 3603. This profile is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources. We search for defining information on his origins. Care must be taken not to confuse him with his contemporary, Lucas Luycasse Wyngaert!

In 1699, the city council reported that he did not possess freedom of the city (unique rights of residency including the ability to trade) - probably because he had been born outside the boundaries of Albany/Beverwyck. In 1701, he was ordered to stop trading until he qualified (by virtue of freemanship or a license).

Home | Site Index | Navigation | Email | New York State Museum

first posted 6/20/02; last revised 2/3/14