Silas W. Howell
In May 1794, an Albany newspaper noted that Silas W. Howell offered his services as a clock and watchmaker and as a gold and silversmith in New Brunswick, New Jersey until December 1796. Examples of his work in combination with fine products sometimes offered by wood craftsmen and silversmiths have been noted for his time in Jersey. After that, he would be found in Albany.
In December 1798, an Albany newspaper advertized his shop opposite city hall on Court Street where he "sold guns, fancy goods, jewelry, and silver table and teaspoons." Over the next half decade, he appears to have been a regular advertizer. He was to be involved in at least two business partnerships.
Beginning in 1798, he was identified on Albany jury lists as a watch and/or clock maker and merchant. In 1801, he was a member of an Albany fire "handbarrow" company. In 1803, his name appeared on a list of Albany freeholders.
He was a member of the Albany Mechanics Society.
However, a promising life story was cut short when Silas W. Howell died in September 1805. He had lived less than thirty-six years. A newpaper obituary dated October 7, 1805 noted that: "On Saturday last, greatly lamented by their numerous friends and acquaintance, Silas W. Howell, and Abraham D. Lansigh, both of this city, Merchants – of the malignant fever of New-York – from which place they returned on Wednesday last – the former was then down with the fever, the latter but slightly indisposed." Howell was buried in the Albany Presybterian plot.
Letters of administration on his estate were issued in March 1806.
In April 1807, the guardian of the four [named] "infant children" of the late Silas W. Howell was petitioning for a particular share of his estate. Their mother, widow "Hannah Howell," also was named in the action submitted to the Albany Mayor's Court.