Willem Ketelhuyn
Stefan Bielinski

Willem Ketelhuyn was the son of Jochem and Anna Willems Ketelhuyn. He probably was born during the 1650s.

About 1680, He married young widow Hilletie Lansing Vanderzee. She brought several Vanderzee children to the marriage which produced at least three more children. Over the next half century, he was a supporter and regular sponsor for baptisms at the Albany Dutch church.

Formerly a farmer in the employ of Marte Gerritse, William Jochemse took over management of the tavern Hilletie inherited from her late husband. Over the next two decades, their household was described on censuses and he was identified as an Albany mainstay. His tavern was located on the southside at the intersection of Beaver and Green streets.In 1700, it was used as lodging for garrison officers and their wives.

During the 1680s, Ketelhuyn purchased land north of Rensselaerswyck and east of the Hudson. That property became his farm. In 1713, following the death of Hilletie and his re-marriage to Maria De Ridder, he moved north to his farm. In 1720, he was identified as a freeholder of Rensselaerswyck. In 1734, he filed a will that stated he was a resident of Saratoga and the husband of Maria.

Willem Ketelhuyn died in August 1746 and was buried in the cemetery of the Albany Dutch church.



the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of Willem Ketelhuyn/Cetel/Kittle is CAP biography 4652. This profile is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.

Home | Site Index | Navigation | Email | New York State Museum

first posted: 6/20/02