After announcing marriage plans to Catharina Van Deusen in August 1778, instead he wed Albany native Susanna Yates at the Schaghticoke Dutch church in 1779. She was the daughter of Patriot leader Abraham Yates, Jr. Their thirteen children were born between 1780 and 1808 and baptized in the Albany Dutch church where both parents were members.
Over the next two decades, Abraham was closely associated with his prominent father-in-law - serving as Yates's deputy in the Loan Office in 1780. His large and growing family lived with the Yateses until Abraham's death in 1796. After the war, he entered business and was able to acquire investment property in and beyond Albany.
However, he was primarily an officeholder and public servant. Lansing served as Albany County Surrogate (1787-1808), Treasurer of New York State (1803-12), and as a trustee and board member of a number of organizations.
Abraham G. Lansing was a prominent Albany personage of the early nineteenth century - inheriting the large new house built at what became 358 North Market Street following the death of his father-in-law in 1796. However, the census for 1800, configured his residence in the second ward.
A contemporary characterized him as "a man of sound sense and vigorous tone of mind; rough and somewhat abrupt in his manner, but upright, frank, and fearless in conduct and in character." He died in September 1834. His will passed probate a month later.
first posted: 8/20/02