Abraham A. Lansing
Abraham Lansing was born in July 1752, He was the son of Albany merchant Abraham Lansing and his second wife and cousin Catharina Lansing. His father died in 1759 and his mother re-married. He often was referred to as "Abraham A. Lansing."
In September 1774, he married Elsje Van Rensselaer - a daughter of Killiaen and sister of businessman Philip Van Rensselaer later of Cherry Hill. By 1794, the marriage had produced ten children. However, Elsje Van Rensselaer Lansing died in 1796. Three years later, Abraham married Elsje Lansing, a cousin. All his children from the first marriage were baptized at the Albany Dutch church where he was a lifelong member.
These Lansings were Albany mainstays for many years. Abraham followed his father in business and also was identified in the community record as a mariner and tannery owner. Following his marriage, he lived in the third ward where he served as a firemaster in 1775 and '76.
In 1782, he witnessed the will of a prominent Albany widow.
By the late 1790s, he had settled into a moderately valued, traditional townhouse on Market Street - which, in 1800, was attended by eleven slaves. His leather fire bucket dating from that time is in the collection of the New York State Museum. He owned other properties in Albany as well.
After the war, he took his place within the Albany business community. Commercial activities were supplemented by processing and transportation services. His move by 1813 to 212 Court Street (still in the directory in 1820 as 652 South Market) was followed by a final relocation to Cherry Hill in Bethlehem where he lived out his life.
Abraham A. Lansing died in February 1822 at age seventy. He was buried on his Cherry Hill property. His will passed probate in March.
first posted: 6/30/05; revised 1/5/08