George W. Mancius


George W. Mancius was born in December 1767. He was the eldest son of Wilhelmus and Anna Ten Eyck Mancius. He grew up in a large family in the Market Street home of a prominent Albany physician. He was named for his paternal grandfather, a well-known Kingston cleric.

In 1798, he was appointed surgeon for an Albany militia regiment - replacing his father's partner, Hunloke Woodruff.

His wife was named Catherine. Perhaps she was the daughter of Jacob Vanderheyden. Curiously, no mention of his marriage has been found in the extant records of the Albany Dutch church.

His father was the Albany postmaster until his death in 1808. Wilhelmus was succeeded by his son Jacob as postmaster and then by George who served until he was replaced by Peter P. Dox in 1814.

George W. Mancius was known as merchant and his house and lot in the second ward were valued substantially on the assessment roll in 1799. Also in that year, he owned "land" in the second ward. Over the years, he bought and sold properties in a number of locations within the city. In 1800, his first ward household included only a boy and two slaves besides a young couple.

In December 1804, he and his wife were among those who swore that they had witnessed the signing of the will of General Philip Schuyler.

Beginning in 1813, his residence at 22 Montgomery Street and the Post Office (at 10 Court and then 436 South Market) were listed in the city directories. At that time, his widowed mother and two brothers also were listed on Market Street.

By 1820, the census showed his household with only an older couple and a slightly younger woman.

George W. Mancius "Esq." died in December 1823 at the age of fifty-six. Letters of administration were issued on his estate the following January.

biography in-progress


the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of George W. Mancius is CAP biography number 6624. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.

first posted: 3/5/10