Spelled and referred to variously, Janet Martin was a historically visible Albany householder during and after the era of the American Revolution. At this point, we are unsure if she was a member of the Albany Martin family, a Martin widow, or came to and was living in Albany under other circumstances.
She may have been in Albany as early as February 1744 when Janet and Pieter Maarten witnessed the christening of Anna Hilton at the Albany Dutch church. In January 1779, she witnessed a Martin family christening with Johannes Hoghkerk. In 1790 and afterward she was identified as a pewholder at the church. Otherwise, extant Albany church records provide neither marriage nor baptism information about her.
Widow or spinster, her name appeared in the same Southside location on the Albany assessment roll for the first ward in 1766, 1779, 1788 (perhaps she had boarders in 1788), and in 1799. In all cases, her holdings and assessments were moderate (more than modest). In 1790, she was identified as the head of her Southside household with only another female in the home. A map dated 1800 showed the holdings of "Mrs. Jennet Martin" on a doubly wide lot located on the north side of Hudson between Green and Court Streets.
In May 1804, "Ginnet Martin" was buried from the Dutch church.
Sources: The life of Janet Martin has not been assigned a CAP biography number. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.
first posted: 12/10/10