In July 1761, he married Sarah Hawke at St. Peter's Anglican church. The marriage may have produced a number of children. During the 1760s and 70s, the Rubys were listed as sponsors of baptisms at the Albany Dutch church. Later, he was a member, pewholder, and officer of the Albany Lutheran church.
Initially, he made his home in the third ward where his property was accorded modest assessments. In 1785, he signed a fifteen year lease for some property with Maria Van Schaick. At that time, he was identified as "of Rensselaerswyck." In 1788, his home was in Albany's North End. In 1790, his Pearl Street household included eight people. Just before his death, he also owned an additional second ward lot.
A developer's map dated 1794, first showed "Ruby's Alley" as an L-shaped back street that straddled the northern city line and opened on the logical extensions of Barrack and Quackenbush Streets. In 1785, he agreed to property in Rensselaerswyck from "Maria Van Schaick" at fifteen shillings a year for fifteen years.
We seek defining information on Ruby's occupation. In 1788 and '89, he charged Philip Schuyler for several days of work on Schuyler's grape vines. Perhaps he was a gardener.
Conrad Ruby was dead by 1800 when his wife was named as head of their household. His will passed probate in February 1812. His widow lived on in their second ward home which in 1814 was located at 24 Van Schaick Street.
Sources: The life of Conrad Ruby is CAP biography number 1056. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.
first posted: 11/30/06; revised 7/17/08