David Rottery, a carman of Albany, posted a marriage bond with Jannet Addy in September 1760. The marriage produced a number of children whose names do not appear in the records of early Albany's churches.
By mid-decade, he had settled in Albany. In 1766, his first ward property was assessed at one pound. In 1768, he was among those leasing lots located uphill, west of the stockade and probably along the King's Highway. The lease was to run for twenty-four years. At his request, it was renewed in 1788.
In 1767, Rottery served in a city company of the Albany County Militia. As early as 1772, he was paid "on account" by the Albany city government. Over the next three decades, he recieved monies and produce from the city. Whether those sums were for performing the carter's duties (as in March 1790) or other tasks or for subsistence is not known. By 1799, his name began to appear regularly on the list of Albany's permanent poor.
As one of a large number of tenants of the city, by 1790, his first ward home was a well-known landmark. However, later that year, the building was destroyed by fire. Perhaps the ward boundaries were redrawn or he had relocated as subsequent census and assessment rolls placed him in the second ward.
David Rottery wrote out a will dated March 25, 1801. At that time, his wife and two sons were named in his will. He was still alive in 1802 and receiving public assistance.
first posted: 12/10/02