According to traditional sources, he emigrated to New Netherland about 1660. He established a home at Beverwyck which became Albany in 1664. By that time, he was known as a fur trader and then a property owner. His house and lot were located on what became the east side of Pearl Street and incorporated the northern wall of the stockade. For many years, the Pearl Street passage out of town was known as "Roseboom's Gate."
His first wife was Gysbertie Lansing - the mother of at least five Roseboom children. In December 1695, he was a widower when he married Widow Tryntje Jans at the Albany Dutch church where he had been a member, undertaker, and sexton for many years.
Hendrick Janse served the community as a constable, contractor, and juror. In 1679, his property was enumerated on the Albany assessment roll. In 1697, his household was configured on the city census. Two years later, he stood with his neighbors in swearing allegiance to the king of England.
Hendrick Roseboom, Sr. died in December 1703 and was buried from the Dutch church. His descendants spread out in Albany County and beyond!
first posted: 11/30/04