William Rogers (sometimes Rodgers) probably was born during the 1670s or 80s. Perhaps he was born in 1661. He was a soldier in one of the companies on garrison duty at Albany and on the northern frontier. He was the first of several individuals named William Rogers who lived in Albany and its environs almost continuously over most of the eighteenth century. This individual (Albany's first William Rogers) was known as "William Rogers, Sr."
In July 1706, "William Rogers" married Mary Johnson of Boston at his home in Albany. The marriage was recorded in the register of the Albany Dutch church. At that time, he was identified as a soldier in "Captain Weemes' Company." By 1709, three children had been christened in Albany. Perhaps, his first wife died and, in February 1721, he married Susanna De Foreest.
Over at least two decades, William Rogers was a paid soldier on duty out of Albany. As early as November 1697, he was identified as a private in Richard Ingoldsby's company and was paid thru May 1698. In September 1698, he was identified as a private and on the payroll of Capt. Baxter's company at Albany. In May 1710, he obtained his discharge from James Weems' company of fuziliers as his term of service had expired. By that time, he had become an Albany resident.
In 1709, his third ward holdings were valued on the Albany assessment roll. In 1713, he was appointed high constable. In 1714, he was appointed firemaster for the third ward. In 1714, he subscribed for the building of St. Peter's Anglican Church. At that time, he was identified as a "hattor." In 1715, he was identified as a private in an Albany militia company.
In 1718, he successfully sued Adam Hayden before the Albany court and was awarded forty pounds and costs. His attorney was former garrison officer John Collins.
During these years, he bought and sold city lots beyond the north gate.
His name seems to be absent from the countywide freeholders list in 1720. He was last heard from in January 1744 when he witnessed the baptism of his grand-daughter.
William Rogers, Jr. was his son and a hatter as well. One of those two was listed on the Albany freeholders list in 1742. We have yet to connect the later William Rogerses to these Williams - although at least one of them was a hatter.
Sources: The life of William Rogers has not been assigned a CAP biography number. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.
first posted: 1/10/08