John Scott lived in Albany during the second half of the eighteenth century. Provincial records later certified that John Scott served in the 60th Regiment of the British army during the Seven Years War. As a non-commissioned officer, he was awarded land in Tryon County. Perhaps he was the same individual who owned land on the south side of the Mohawk River in 1752!
In 1761, Scott was appointed constable for the first ward. In 1766, he was named firemaster for the first ward where owned a house and lot. In that year, he joined with other Albany Sons of Liberty in opposition to the Stamp Act. At that time, he was a private in an Albany militia company.
In 1775, he was commissioned an Ensign in the first regiment of the Albany County militia. He served in the Albany militia - ultimately becoming Captain of the Albany regiment. After the war, his name headed the regiment's bounty list.
Apparently a bachelor, Scott lived in a first ward home with the "Widow Halliday." Perhaps she was his sister. The house had a shop attached. Scott also leased additional lots from the Albany government. In 1790, his southside house was configured on the first Federal census.
John Scott died in July 1797 and was buried from the Albany Dutch church.
Sources: The life of John Scott is CAP biography number 1800. This sketch raises many questions about his life and is derived chiefly from community-based resources. Was he the same John Scott who received Letters of Administration on the estate of his father, Lieutenant John Scott who was stationed at Albany in 1726?
first posted: 1/30/04