Spelled variously, the pioneer Slingerland (or Slingerlands) family has inhabited Albany and its hinterland since the mid-seventeenth century. Its long-term but compact presence in the city represented only the tip of a more regional demographic iceberg. The name appears to recall a place in the Netherlands.
Countywide assessment rolls from the 1760s document the presence of numerous Slingerland-named properties largely on surrounding farms.
In 1813, the first city directory counted three Slingerland-named addresses on Market Street.
Today, Slingerland Street off of Second Avenue, and the suburban hamlet of Slingerlands, located south and west of the city in the town of Bethlehem, recall the name of this substantial early Albany family. See also Slingerland drums and musical instruments. Illustrated history of Slingerland products.
Sources: This access page on the Albany Slingerland family is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources. Online resources: Google.com search (2015); HMGFM; Geni; Wiki Tree;
first opened 1/20/11; online 6/30/14; last revisited 3/15/15