Hendrick Ten Eyck
by
Stefan Bielinski


Hendrick Ten Eyck was born in Albany in December 1680. He was the son of Albany newcomers Jacob C. and Geertruy Coeymans Ten Eyck. Losing his father before he reached maturity, he grew up in the second ward along with the family of Albany mainstay Jan Janse Bleecker. In 1697, he was sharing a house in Albany with his brother, Barent, next to that of his widowed mother.

In November 1706, he married Bleecker's daughter, Margarita, at the Albany parsonage. By 1725, their eight children had been baptized at the Albany Dutch church where both parents were members, pewholders, and regular baptism sponsors. Hendrick also served as deacon.

These Ten Eycks lived in Albany's second ward where his house first appeared on the Albany assessment roll in 1709. At that time, he was taxed a sum similar to other Albany merchants - although he also was known as a baker. In 1699, he had signed an oath pledging loyalty to the king of England. In 1720, again in 1742, and as late as 1763, his name appeared on a list of qualified voters in the second ward. In 1756, he was in his late seventies and referred to as "Mr. Tynack" on a census of Albany households. A decade later, his second ward property had one of the highest assessments in the city!

He also served the community as juror, constable, firemaster, and surveyor. He was a member of the Commissioners of Indian Affairs and among those Albany stalwarts who resigned in October 1746. In 1715, he served in the Albany militia. In 1725, he was the captain of a militia company.

Hendrick Ten Eyck died in February 1772 in his ninety-second year. His wife may have lived a year longer.

biography in-progress


notes

the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of Hendrick Ten Eyck is CAP biography number 4818. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources. We recognize that an important part of his story is missing here. Perhaps the answers lie at Oswego - where he spent at least some time, or elsewhere on the frontier!




Home | Site Index | Navigation | Email | New York State Museum


first posted 6/30/04; updated 8/19/13