According to traditional sources, Dirck Harmanse was born (probably in America) in 1652. He was the son of New Netherland pioneers Harmen Bastiaense and Hester Dircks Visscher. He grew up in a large family that became well-established in Albany and its environs.
His wife was Jemmetie Jans. By 1698, a number of their children had been baptized in the Albany Dutch church where he was a member and frequent baptism sponsor.
Dirck Harmanse was a prominent fur trader, sawyer, and resident of the third ward. In 1700, he served as firemaster and asessor. His house was listed on the census of 1679. Located on the corner of Market and what became Steuben Street (near the North gate of the stockade), it was an Albany landmark for a half century. He also had a financial interest in a sloop, a second Albany house, and held external land as well. During the early 1700s, his Albany property was assessed comparable to that of the community's most successful businessmen. In 1720, his name appeared on a list of qualified voters.
In 1718, the will of the patroon noted that Visscher was in possession of pastureland in the Manor.
Dirck Harmanse Visscher filed a will in February 1712. It named his wife, son, and four living daughters. He died in February 1725 and was buried beneath the church.
first posted: 6/25/04; last revised 5/31/09