Jan Van Loon
Jan Van Loon probably was born about 1650. According to traditional sources, he came to New Netherland from Luyck in Holland. However, at different times, he was called a "Frenchman" and a "Catholic." In November 1675, "Jan Van Loney" was in New York where he took the oath of allegiance to the King of England.
In February 1676, he married Manhattan native Maria Alberts (perhaps Ryckman) in New York City. By 1696, the marriage had produced five or more children. He has been called a Catholic who turned Protestant and donated land for the Lutheran church of Loonenburg.
Following his marriage, he relocated to Albany where he bought a lot and was known as a "master smith." By that time, he was looking to acquire land in the upper Hudson Valley. That tract (including today's Coxsackie and Athens) would become known as the "Loonenburg Patent."
Perhaps he was called "Jan Trompetter" and thus appeared on the census of householders in 1679. In 1684, his Albany taxes were in arrears but he refused to pay the specified sum. In 1685, he was identified as an Albany merchant.
During the 1680s, he is said to have served as coroner in Albany. In 1688, he was called the "former coroner." In 1701, he was summoned to surrender the papers of the Albany notary from the 1680s. However, he did not turn over Van Ilpendam's records until 1702.
During the seventeenth century, Van Loon owned property and homes at Loonenburg (today's Athens).
In September 1691, his Albany house was robbed. He also may have owned a house in Schenectady. As late as 1715, he appeared before the Albany court.
A "Jan Van Loon" was listed on the Albany assessment roll in 1709. Jan Van Loon (the emigre) was dead by 1720. His son and namesake (1685-1743) lived in and around Albany at different times.
Sources: The life of Jan Van Loon is CAP biography number 2399. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources. The most comprehensive biographical study is Peter R. Christoph, "The Time and Place of Jan Van Loon: A Roman Catholic in Colonial Albany" DHM 60:2:8; 60:3:9 (1987).
first posted: 11/20/06