Maus R. Van Vranken
In 1774, he is said to have opened a school in the "new city" of Lansingburgh. He also agreed to read one English and one Dutch language sermon every Sunday at the church there.
In February 1776, he was appointed adjutant of the newly organized Rensselaerswyck Battalion of the Fourth militia regiment. Later, he received a land bounty right in conjunction with the Albany militia regiment.
In March 1781, he applied and was admitted to the "Freedom" of Albany. At that time, he was identified as a merchant.
With the end of the war, he settled down in Albany and entered the dry good business. In December 1782, he announced his intention to open a "Shop of Goods" on the "Schoharie Road" that would offer dry goods, Jamaica Spirits, West India Rum, Powder'd Suger, and other items and would accept "any kind of grain" in payment.
His modest home was located in the second ward (in 1813 the address was 168 Lion Street). During the 1780s, he purchased additional properties within the city. He was paid by the municipal government on a number of occasions. In 1788, he was appointed justice of the peace.
In April 1801, he was identified as a grocer and was charged seven dollars for a license. In 1815, the city Directory gave his address as 35 North Market Street.
Maus R. Van Vranken died in March 1816. He had lived almost sixty-two years.
Sources: The life of Maus R. Van Vranken is CAP biography number 6490. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.
first posted: 3/25/07