From Mississippi to the South End to Rapp Road
The Rapp Road Story
1920s - Mother Resper and Mother Black hold meetings at the Union Baptist Church.
1927 - Reverend Louis Parson comes from Mississippi to begin ministry in Albany.
1930 - Louis Parson and William Tolliver purchase first tract of Pine Bush land.
1933 - Parson and wife purchase another tract.
1937-57 - Rev. Jack Johnson "rescues" more than 100 people from Shubuta.
1939 - Ten members of the Woodard family arrive in Albany on a Greyhound Bus.
1940 - Rev. Parson dies and elder Wm. Wilborn becomes pastor at 79 Hamilton Street.
1943 - Rapp Road first settled by Shubuta people.
1944 - Alfred Woodard and family move to Rapp Road (Emma Woodard born).
1945 - Willie Mc Cann purchased wooded lot there.
1957 - first annual Woodard-Mc Cann family reunion held on Rapp Road.
1971 - Washington Avenue Extension opened.
1978 - still no sewers or city water! Emma Woodard builds home at 28 Rapp Road.
1984 - Crossgates Mall opens.
1980s - ARC built on old Franklin property at 21 Rapp Road.
1990 - Emma Woodard Dickson opens First Steps Childcare Center.