The fur trade provided pelts that were shipped to Europe to make fashionable accessories. Chief among these products were hats which were sold all over Europe. To supply a domestic market, colonial Albany supported a small enclave of hatmakers or hatters!

William Loveridge and his son were known as hatters during the 1670s.

Three hatters, (William Mc Intosh, William Tyler, and William Rogers), were listed on the census of city householders taken in 1756.

Hat maker John W. Wendell settled on Court Street before the Revolution and evolved his business on that site to that of "Hat Manufactory" by the time of his death in 1802.

In 1813, the city directory identified seven hatters living on Court Street.

A number of online resources further describe the process! More!



Sources: Still more online resources.

Home | Site Index | Navigation | Email | New York State Museum

first posted: 10/20/02