ON JUNE 30, 2009, THE BRI PROGRAM OFFICE WILL BE CLOSING DOWN TEMPORARILY. THE ACTING DIRECTOR OF BRI AND THE BRI EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ARE WORKING TO REINSTATE STAFF AND WE HOPE TO BEGIN PROGRAM ACTIVITIES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. WE DO NOT ANTICIPATE ANY CHANGES TO THE UPCOMING FALL 2009 BRI BIOLOGY AND CONSERVATION LECTURE SERIES OR TO THE 2010 NORTHEAST NATURAL HISTORY CONFERENCE, SO PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY.
The following is a partial list of web resources which contain useful information for biodiversity researchers and those simply concerned about biodiversity. We are particularly interested in those sites dedicated to the biodiversity of New York State and the northeast region of the United States. Links are organized by geographic region and then general topic. Suggestions for additional sites to list are welcome and should be submitted to: email@example.com
New York State
New York Agencies and Programs:
- New York Natural Heritage Program - Standardized data on endangered plants, animals and ecological communities.
- NY Offices and Chapters of The Nature Conservancy - Preserving plants, animals and natural communities by protecting the lands and waters they need to survive.
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC)
- New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
New York Species:
- Cortland Herpetology Connection - Encourages students around the state to participate in the study and conservation of amphibians and reptiles.
- Transportation Alternatives, NYC
- Center for Conservation Biology Network - Lists academic programs in conservation biology by university.
Nationwide Agencies and Programs:
- National Council for Science and the Environment
- U.S. Endangered Species
Taxonomy and Systematics
- Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS) - A list of biological names focusing on the biota of North America.
Worldwide (or sites without a specific geographic focus)
- WWW Virtual Library: Forestry
General Information on Biodiversity:
- Center for Biodiversity and Conservation
- Convention on Biological Diversity - The first global, comprehensive agreement to address all aspects of biological diversity.
- National Biological Information Infrastructure (NBII) - An electronic gateway to biological data throughout the world.
- Natural Heritage Network Central Server - Standardized data on endangered plants, animals and ecological communities (Western hemisphere only)
- The Nature Conservancy - Preserving plants, animals and natural communities by protecting the lands and waters they need to survive.
- The Virtual Library of Ecology, Biodiversity and the Environment
- World Resources Institute - Biodiversity
International Policy on Biodiversity or Environmental Issues:
- Earth Summit Watch - A citizens' initiative to monitor and encourage actions by nations to follow agreements made at Earth Summit.
- World Conservation Monitoring Centre - provides information services on conservation and sustainable use of the world's living resources.
- Linkages - a multimedia resource for environment and development policy makers.
- Seventh Generation - Products that are safer for you and the environment.
- Union of Concerned Scientists - Working for a Healthy Environment and a Safe World.