ON JUNE 30, 2009, THE BRI PROGRAM OFFICE WILL BE CLOSING DOWN TEMPORARILY. THE ACTING DIRECTOR OF BRI AND THE BRI EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE ARE WORKING TO REINSTATE STAFF AND WE HOPE TO BEGIN PROGRAM ACTIVITIES AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. WE DO NOT ANTICIPATE ANY CHANGES TO THE UPCOMING FALL 2009 BRI BIOLOGY AND CONSERVATION LECTURE SERIES OR TO THE 2010 NORTHEAST NATURAL HISTORY CONFERENCE, SO PLEASE PLAN ACCORDINGLY.
Mary Beth Kolozsvary
TITLE: Biodiversity Scientist
NYS Biodiversity Research Institute
New York State Museum
Cultural Education Center - Room 3140
Albany, NY 12230
Ph.D., 2003, University of Maine, Ecology and Environmental Science, Orono, ME.
Advisors: Aram J.K. Calhoun and Malcolm L. Hunter, Jr.
Dissertation: Hydroperiod of wetlands and reproduction in wood frogs (Rana sylvatica) and spotted salamanders (Ambystoma maculatum)
M.S., 1998, Purdue University, Dept. of Forestry and Natural Resources, West Lafayette, IN. Major: Wildlife Science.
Advisor: Robert K. Swihart
Thesis: Effects of agriculturally induced fragmentation on amphibian assemblages in west-central Indiana
B.S., 1988, Magna Cum Laude, SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (SUNY-CESF), Syracuse, NY.
Major: Forest Biology (Wildlife).
- Amphibian ecology, vernal pools, aquatic food web dynamics, conservation biology, and community interactions.
- Northeast Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation: member of steering committee, co-chair of Forest Certification Working Group, member of Important Herp Areas Working Group, Editorial Board
- Society for Conservation Biology, member of Freshwater Working Group
Swihart, R. K., T. M. Gehring, M. B. Kolozsvary, and T. E. Nupp. 2003. Responses of “resistant” vertebrates to habitat loss and fragmentation: the importance of niche breadth and range boundaries. Diversity and Distributions. 9: 1-18. View PDF (1,295 KB)
Lawler, J. J., S. P. Campbell, A. D. Guerry, M. B. Kolozsvary, R. J. O’Connor, and L. C. N. Seward. 2002. The scope and treatment of threats in endangered species recovery plans. Ecological Applications. 12: 663-67. View PDF (2,993 KB)
Kolozsvary, M. B., and R. K. Swihart. 1999. Habitat fragmentation and the distribution of amphibians: patch and landscape correlates in farmland. Can. J. Zool. 77: 1288-99. View PDF (8,715 KB)
- Adjunct Curator of Herpetology, New York State Museum
- Research Associate, New York State Museum
- Research Associate, Mohonk Preserve