The New York State Museum will not be scheduling Focus on Nature in 2016. Please check the website often for updates and information about FON XIV.
Debra Barlett (Mount Dandenong, Australia)
Black Hellebore (Helleborus x hybridus)
Watercolor on paper, 2010
The Focus on Nature jury selects original works of natural and cultural history subjects (in whole or in part), excluding human anatomy and portraiture, that demonstrates:
- a high degree of technical skill
- scientific accuracy, including taxonomic definition
- aesthetic qualities, including composition
- a unique scientific and/or artistic viewpoint, techniques, medium, or format (organic depiction, schematics, diagrams, etc.) including traditional, mixed and multimedia, or computer-generated images
- a broad representation of artists
The jury is looking for original artworks. Scanned traditional techniques that have been significantly modified should be entered as mixed media. Printouts of traditional media (e.g., scanned image of a watercolor) without significant modification are not acceptable.