- Evaluation of the potential of Pseudomanas fluorescens for the control of zebra and quagga mussels (Dreissena spp.) in open water such as rivers and lakes.
- Taxonomy and ecology of lethal oomycete parasites of rotifers.
- Taxonomy and ecology of endosymbionts infecting Dreissena spp. mussels.
- Comparison of the endosymbiotic assemblage of European and North American zebra and quagga mussel populations.
- Development of a rapid, ultrasensitive, and inexpensive neurotoxin assay to unravel the trophic pathway of the botulism E epidemic that has killed thousands of Great Lakes fish and birds over the last decade.