Samuel Hill


Samuel Hill was born about 1767. He was one of a number of relatively prominent, same-named American contemporaries. We seek to understand his origins and path to Albany.

This Samuel Hill was a merchant and businessman and probably settled in Albany during the 1780s. In 1788, his personal property was assessed within another first ward household. In December 1789, the Albany newspaper reported that he was selling dry goods and groceries on the west side of Market Street, south of the Market House.

In January 1790, he married Mary Barry at St. Peter's Episcopal church. The marriage produced a number of children. In 1805, he was identified as the "treasurer of the [St. Peter's] building fund."

Recently married to Thomas Barry's daughter, he probably was accounted for under Barry's first ward household on the census in 1790.

In 1797, he took title to the land at 39-43 State Street. This address was the first home of the Albany Hardware and Iron Company at what Hill called "The sign of the Golden Hinge."

The first ward census for 1800, showed his household (listed next to that of his father-in-law) with four children under ten and two older boys as well. By that time, his name was a fixture on assessments, jury lists, and other community-based lists. He also was a trustee of the Albany library and, by 1813, a director of the Bank of Albany.

On July 1, 1810, the Fort Orange Club first opened at the new mansion designed by Philip Hooker and built for Samuel Hill at what is now 110 Washington Avenue.

He became a widower when Mary died in January 1816 at the age of forty-four. Samuel Hill continued to reside at 39 State Street until he died in May 1819 and also was buried in the Episcopal plot. He had lived fifty-two years.

biography in-progress


the people of colonial Albany Sources: The life of Samuel Hill is CAP biography number 8464. This sketch is derived chiefly from family and community-based resources.

A collection of the company's papers is held by the Albany Insitiute of History and Art.

first posted: 1/25/09; updated 4/17/12