Market Street

edge of the Dutch Reformed church - demolished in 1806 double house of Richard Lush and John Brinkerhoff's hardware store home of John Maley small home of Teunis Van Vechten store of David Waters - died in 1810 home of Elbert Willett home of David Newland Abraham R. Ten Eyck's bookstore Peter Douw Barent G. Staats Bank of Albany - founded 1792 Robison's Corner house and store of John Van Schaick North Market Street from State to Maiden Lane

View of the west side of Market Street from the old Dutch Reformed church north to Maiden Lane in about 1805.

The twelve buildings on the this half of the block shown above are from left to right: Robinson's Corner; house and store of John G. Van Schaick; store of David Waters; home of David Newland; home of Elbert Willett; the tall building was the Bank of Albany; large home of John Maley; Abraham R. Ten Eyck's book store; large chimney home of Peter Douw; Barent G. Staats; small home of Teunis Van Vechten; double house of Richard Lush and John Brinkerhoff's hardware store.


Chancellor John Lansing, Jr. Sander Lansing - baker Lush-Brinkerhoff building John Meads Martin Beekman John Jacob Lansing General John H. Wendell law office of Richard S. Treat 85 then 309 N. Market double house of Stephen Lush and Samuel Stringer Barent Bleecker Andrew Brown Dudley Walsh street life

The streetscape shown above is a continuation of a view of the east side of Market Street from the Lush-Brinkerhoff house north to Maiden Lane about 1805. North from the Lush-Brinkerhoff house was the home of John Meads; then the house of Martin Beekman; then the house of John Jacob Lansing; the tall building belonged to Barent Bleecker; the old Dutch-style building next door was occupied by General John H. Wendell. The double house and offices of Stephen Lush and his father-in-law, Dr. Samuel Stringer were bounded by the homes of Andrew Brown, Dudley Walsh, and baker Sanders Lansing. The large home partially obscured by the tree belonged to Chancellor John Lansing. This streetscape is further descrbed in an online transcription.

PAGE IN PROGRESS


notes

Streetscapes from an engraving printed in The Bicentennial History of Albany, page 671. The image is part of a set of engravings of buildings along North Market Street patterned on the work of James Eights.



Home | Site Index | Navigation | Email | New York State Museum



posted: 08/30/02