Spelled variously, Hoosick was a rural location in the eastern part of old Albany County and a favored destination for overflow Albany people. This essay defines the Hoosic Valley locale as east of Schaghticoke and north of Rensselaerswyck. It later became a town and village in what became Rensselaer County in 1791. This exposition focuses on former city residents and on Hoosick's tangental role in the early Albany story.
Settlement followed the granting of the Hoosick Patent in 1688. The original patentees were: Maria Van Rensselaer of Albany, Hendrick Van Ness of Albany, Gerrit Teunis Van Vechten of Kaatskill, and Jacobus Van Courtlandt of New York.
Two subsequent patents ultimately filled out its borders.
The burning of Hoosick by Canada-based raiders in August 1754 signalled the New York-based resumption of the imperial struggle beteen Britain and France. Most Hoosick Valley settlers fell back on Albany as refugees. We look to document this migration feature and assess its impact on the city more closely. After the war, some settlers returned to start over on their Hoosick Valley land.
A number of future loyalists including discharged British soldier John Munro re-located from Albany during the mid-1770s. In 1777, the so-called Battle of Bennnington took place within the district borders.
A district in 1772, Hoosick was erected as a town in 1788. It was a separate demographic entity on the census of 1790 when 3,035 residents were counted including 27 slaves and 18 free people of color.
Detail from the Bleecker Map dated 1767 showing the part of Hoosick within the northeastern corner of the Manor. The heavy red line represents the northern limits of Rensselaerswyck. At that time, the Patroonship counted eighteen or so settlers there as tenants. The line to the right of the "Van Arnhem" label (bottom right corner) represents a "working" but un-resolved border with New England.
silently posted: 1/20/11