This section of our website was created by a researcher who has retired. These pages are not maintained.

Taverns, Forts & Castles:

Re-Discovering King Hendrick's Village

Philip Lord, Jr.
New York State Museum

King Hendrick, Chief of the Mohawk Nation, circa 1755

Long-standing tradition and a substantial amount of archaeological research had placed the site of the mid-eighteenth century Upper Castle of the Mohawks - King Hendrick's village - at the hamlet of Indian Castle, along the banks of the Nowadaga Creek in eastern Herkimer County.

A re-examination of contemporary maps and journals, within the context of recent research into inland navigation in the Early Republic Period, has revealed that this village, and the British fortification associated with it during the French and Indian War, was actually located over three kilometers further east, on a height of land that constricts the Mohawk Valley from the south.

This finding has also permitted the confirmation of a previously undocumented segment of mid-eighteenth century roadway connecting the Mohawk and Susquehanna watersheds.


Table of Contents


This webpage was adapted from an article by the same name in the journal Northeast Anthropology , Number 52, Fall 1996 and is reproduced here with their permission.


For additional information contact Philip Lord, Jr. at the New York State Museum, Room CEC 3097, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12230, telephone (518) 486-2037, or send an E-mail.

Top
Next
NYS Museum Home
Museum Open Monday-Saturday: 9:30 am to 5 pm | Carousel Hours: 10 am to 4:30 pm
Office of Cultural Education | New York State Education Department
Information: 518-474-5877 | Contact Us | Image Requests | Terms of Use
Join us on Facebook See us on YouTube See us on Flickr