To the dedicated student of eighteenth century military history, or
the intensely curious traveler, wandering the back roads of the
Mohawk Valley in search of illusive fragments of local history,
the blue and gold historic markers that crop up along the roadside,
sometimes obscured by brush and more often rendered nearly illegible
by rust and neglect, provide tantalizing clues to an invisible
cultural landscape long forgotten.
In the northeastern corner of Herkimer County, where the Town of
Danube breaks over onto the river plain along the south shore of
the Mohawk River, two of the most provocative of these early
monuments can be found. They appear to identify long lost remnants
of two British forts, part of a string of outposts established
in what was then Indian territory as a fragile defense against the
impending French invasion from the West.
British Post Guarding
Mohawk Castle. Named For
King Hendrick killed
at Lake George, Sept. 1755
British Fort During
French and Indian War
Guarding River Ford
These singular signposts are located within three kilometers of
each other, although few know that both exist. The first
stands along the north edge of the old river road, near its
intersection with Route 5S, just east of the bridge over Nowadaga
This bridge marks the focal point of the tiny hamlet of
Indian Castle. The second marker stands along the south side of
the old river road about three kilometers to the east, near where
it dead ends at a long closed bridge over the Barge Canal.
road used to serve as a through route to homes along the valley
floor to the east but now provides access only to local residents.
Therefore, this second marker is rarely seen and to most people
remains entirely unknown.
NYS Museum Home