A Shift of Population
By that time, families formerly associated with the Upper Castle
settlement at Fort Hendrick apparently had begun to infiltrate the
more westerly lands along the river terraces. Perhaps by the time
the British loyalties of the Mohawks forced their abandonment of
these lands prior to the Revolution, the core of the Upper Castle
settlement had re-located to the margins of Nowadaga Creek.
This bi-polar settlement pattern is suggested on an anonymous British
map (MAP 1756, above), reputed to date to 1756, but possibly later.
It shows a fort on the site of Fort Hendrick, surrounded by a
cluster of houses, and labeled "Indien Castel", while to
the west, on Nowadaga Creek, several inverted Vs symbolic of Indian
settlement are shown. This is more emphatically presented by Thomas
Jeffreys in his 1768 map of New York, where a fort symbol labeled
"Upper Cas." stands on the west side of Nowadaga Creek, while a
village symbol labeled "Lower Castle" stands on the site of Fort
Hendrick (MAP 1768).
By far the most convincing graphic presentation of this
bi-polarization, and seemingly the source for Capt. Holland's
later map, is found on a large and detailed map of the water route
between Albany and Oswego, anonymous and tentatively dated at 1759
(MAP 1759, below). Here are shown tiny fort outlines at both the
Nowadaga Creek location cited above, labeled "Upper Castle", and at
the Fort Hendrick site, labeled "Lower Castle," with the empty
intervening space carrying the word "Canajockhary." No other houses
are indicated within this space, even though individual cabins dot
the map along the river elsewhere.
Interestingly, at the actual lower
Mohawk Castle at Fort Hunter, no suggestion of Mohawk settlement is
indicated on this map (not shown in above image).
NYS Museum Home