The Knox Trail - Locations
Another listing was compiled by the State Historian's Office in 1952, providing more detailed location data. This information has been inserted into the 1928 listing below in italics.
Some of the monuments listed below are missing and several have been moved from their original positions, often miles away and onto different roads. A complete field guide to the existing monuments is part of this website. You can go to that field guide from any of the locations listed below by using the links attached to each entry.
The Advisory Board of Battlefields and Historic Sites selected a type design for markers and obtained and placed 30 of them through the advice and cooperation of the State Historian.
1) Fort Ticonderoga - Place of Arms.
1. Fort Ticonderoga - Place of-Arms. Stake K.T.1, in court yard 411 feet from south face of north wall and in direct line with center of south entrance.
2) Fort Ticonderoga Dock.
2. Fort Ticonderoga Dock. Stake K.T. 2, 45 feet southerly from southeast corner of pier at southeast corner of Revenge Building and 59 feet 3 inches from south east corner of middle pier on south side of same building.
3) Fort Ticonderoga - Where transferred from water to land carriage.
3. Ticonderoga - Where transferred from water to land carriage. Stake K.T.3, between two telephone poles in triangle south east of Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper Co's. land, 8 feet from north westerly pole and 23 feet and 3 inches from south easterly pole.
4) Fort Ticonderoga - Where transferred to Lake George vessels.
4. Ticonderoga - Transferred to Lake George vessels. Stake K.T.4, (Brady lands) west side of highway opposite Rapids Mt. Store on Alex McCaughin's property 56 feet 5 inches from telephone pole north of store and 65 feet 8 inches from telephone pole south west of store (19 feet from center of traveled surface of highway.
5) Sabbath Day Point.
5. Sabbath Day Point Stake K.T.5, on property belonging to Bruce W. Carney about 50 feet west of dock and 38 feet 10 inches from elm tree and 31 feet 11 inches from gasoline fill pipe.
6) Bolton Landing, near public dock.
6. Bolton Landing. Stake K.T.6, near public dock, 32 feet 9 inches westerly from red oak tree near waters edge south of large dock and 41 feet 8 inches from fourth fence post west of gate.
7) Lake George - Beside road through Lake George Battlefield.
7. Lake George. Stake K.T.7, east side of road through Lake George Battlefield just south of gate posts, stake is 37 feet 10 inches southerly of 8" apple tree and 17 feet and 2 inches northeasterly of post holding Military Road Sign.
8) Halfway Brook (or Bloody Brook or Pond)
8. Half Way Brook. Stake K.T.8, on east side of state highway 29 feet 6 inches east of center line of pavement at a point 178 feet northerly along east edge of pavement from most northerly guard rail post near Station 260.
9) Glens Falls - Near corner of Glen Street and Roseland Avenue.
9. Glens Falls Stake K.T.9, Crandall Park near corner of Glen Street and Roseland Avenue, 76 feet from hydrant center and 77 feet and 6 inches from North west corner of sidewalk paving at south east corner of above street intersection, 19 feet 2 inches west of face of west curb of Glen Street.
10) Hudson Falls - Public Library Grounds, Main and Clark Streets.
10. Hudson Falls Public Library grounds, corner of Main and Clark Streets, 10 feet 6 inches east of east edge of Main Street sidewalk and 19 feet 10 inches from south edge of concrete walk to front entrance to Public Library.
11) Fort Edward - High School Grounds. Broadway and Case Streets.
11. Fort Edward Stake K.T.11, High School grounds southeast corner Broadway and Case streets 10 feet and 7 inches easterly from outer edge of retaining wall and edge of sidewalk at a point 12 feet and 5 inches from northerly end of said retaining wall.
11½ ) (Added) Fort Miller. Beside State Highway.
11 1/2. Fort Miller Stake K.T. 11 1/2, located at junction of highway leading from the State highway into Fort Miller 67 feet and 4 inches from the south east point of intersection and 53 feet and 9 inches from the northeast point of intersection.
12) Northumberland. On highway to Northumberland Bridge.
12. Northumberland. Stake K.T.12, located 6 feet 11 inches east of a loctus tree west of highway just south of turn to Northumberland bridge.
13) Schuyulerville. (Old Saratoga) Memorial Park South end of village.
13. Schuylerville Stake K.T.13, located in Memorial Park South end of village on easterly side of Broadway 12 feet 7 inches easterly of face of curb at a point 61 feet 10 inches southerly of most southerly lamp post.
14) Ensign House, on river road south of Schuylerville.
14. Ensign House. Stake K.T.14, ___ miles south of Schuylerville on river road, west side of highway 20 feet 6 inches southerly of butternut tree on west side of highway and 54 feet and 3 inches westerly from elm tree on east side of highway.
15) Bemis Heights. On state highway, west of bridge. North of Bemis Heights.
15. Bemis Heights. Stake K.T. 15, on State highway west side of bridge north of Bemis Heights R.R. crossing 71 feet 10 inches north of north end west bridge abutment and 80 feet southerly of con-crete post for sign and 13 feet west of west edge of pavement.
16) Stillwater - In Park south end of village.
16. Stillwater Stake K.T. 16, located in Park south end of village west side of main street north end of park, 5 feet from face of retaining wall at point 53 feet 3 inches from north end of same.
17) Mechanicville. On Elks Club property. East side Main Street.
17. Mechanicville. Stake K.T. 17, on Elks Club property east side of Main Street 16 feet 4 inches from face of curb and 1/2 way between north property line and north side of walk.
18) Waterford (Old Half Moon) In Park, southeast corner Broad and First Streets.
18. Waterford Stake K.T. 18, in Park southeast corner of Broad and First Streets 14 feet 10 inches easterly from face of curb on east side of First Street and 20 feet 10 inches from curb on south side of Broad Street measured at right angles.
19) Crescent (Klaus's Ferry) At school 16. West side highway between Latham's and Crescent. R. 9
19. Claus Ferry At School 16, west side highway between Lathams and Crescent, Route 9.
20) Latham's - On property of Calvary Methodist Episcopal Church. West side highway R. 9.
20. Lathams On Calvary M.E.Church west side highway north of corners, Route 9.
21) Albany - At Loudonville Road and Northern Boulevard (Near Wolfert's Roost).
21. Albany At Loudonville Rd. & Northern Blvd.
22) Albany - Riverside Park.
22. Albany In Riverside Park E. side Broadway north of Dunn Memorial Bridge. (On Quay St. north of Dunn Memorial Bridge, on S.E. corner streetside, pedestrian underpass - set in concrete wall).
23) Rensselaer - At Aiken Avenue and Columbia Turnpike.
23. Rensselaer Rensselaer at Aiken Ave and Columbia Turnpike.
24) East Greenbush - On property of Dutch Reformed Church. West side highway.
24. East Greenbush On red brick Church (Reformed) property on west side State highway(9).
25) Schodack - At junction New York - Albany and Pittsfield - Albany highways.
25. Schodack At junction New York-Albany and Pittsfield-Albany roads.
26) Kinderhook - In village park.
26. Kinderhook In Village Park.
27) West Ghent - Near West Ghent Reformed Church.
27. West Ghent Near West Ghent Reformed Church, At Junction Old Kings Highway and Stockport-Ghent highway, just off 9-H. (Turn east at Kinderhook - first right after crossing bridge - pass Ichabod Crane schoolhouse and VanBuren Mansion - Lindenwald built in 1797 by Peter Van Ness. Take left fork beyond VanBuren house - next right fork at old wooden house - view of Catskills on right. From this marker continue straight ahead, beautiful county, soon come to concrete.)
28) Claverack - On Red Brick Church property R. 9-H
28. Claverack Turn north from Route 23 at traffic light. Located on red brick Church property - on Route 9-H.
29) Hillsdale (Old Nobletown) At park jct. State Highways 22 and 23.
29. Hillsdale In park at junction State highway Routes 22 and 23.
30) State Line - New York - Massachusetts Highway 23.
30. New York-Massachusetts Line On N.Y. highway Route 23, east of Hillsdale.
Massachusetts Knox Trail Markers
As listed in 1977.
1) Afford - On south side of Rt. 71, Mass-NY state line.
2) Egremont - On south side of Rt. 71, N. Egremont Center
3) Great Barrington - On north side of Rt. 23, east of Rt. 7
4) Monterey - On north side of Rt. 23, west of town center
5) Otis - On north side of Rt. 23, 10 miles east of Monterey
6) Russell - On west side of Gen. Knox Rd., 2 mile south of Rt. 23
7) Westfield - On south side of Rt. 20, east of Westfield Common
8) West Springfield - On Common, junction of Main St. - Park Ave.
9) Springfield - On north side of State St., at Springfield Tech. Community College
10) Wilbraham - Knox Trail park, on south side of Rt. 20, east of Nine Mile Pond
11) Palmer - North side of Rt. 20, west of junction of Rt. 181
12) Warren - On south side of Rt. 67, ¾ mile east of Warren Center
13) Brookfield - On south side of Rt. 9, at junction of Main St.
14) Spencer - On north side of Rt. 9, town center
15) Leicester - On north side of Rt. 9, in front of Library
16) Worcester - In Lincoln Sq., to right of Court House steps
17) Shrewsbury - On town common, Rt. 20
18) Northborough - On north side of Rt. 20, in front of school
19) Marlborough - On north side of Rt. 20, at Prospect St.
20) Southborough - On south side of Rt. 30, at American Legion Post
21) Framingham - On Edgell Rd., at town common
22) Wayland - (formerly Sudbury) approx. 100 yards on road (which is first left) after crossing Sudbury River Bridge. Marker is at site of Old Stone Bridge.
23) Wayland - On north side of Old Conn. Path, east of junction of Rt. 126-27
24) Weston - On Boston Post Rd., in front of library
25) Waltham - On south side of Rt. 20, in front of school
26) Watertown - On south side of Mt. Auburn St., in front of library