The Knox Trail - Field Inventory
Context: Knox arrived at Fort Ticonderoga on the evening of December 5, 1775 accompanied by his nineteen-year-old brother William and a servant, Miller. Early the next day, assisted by the garrison of Fort Ticonderoga, he began to move the guns.
It seems probable that Major General Philip Schuyler, Commander of the Northern Department, who had been at Ticonderoga the previous week, had already selected the guns to be sent to Washington. They apparently included forty-three heavy brass and iron cannons, six cohorns, eight mortars, and two howitzers. These were dismounted from their old French and Indian War carriages, which were found to be rotted and weak, removed from the fort walls and assembled in the Place d'Arms.
Knox tackled the heaviest and most cumbersome pieces first. Fortunately an appropriate vessel, a gondola or gundalow, was tied up at the King's dock just below the fort and it was to this landing that he moved the cannon by ox cart.
View an historic British map from 1777 of this general area. 180 KB
View an historic British map from 1777 of this location. 50 KB