The New York State Museum is Open
We are excited to welcome you back to the Museum! In accordance with new safety guidelines, visitors will notice that some galleries and exhibit features are closed and we have new safety rules in place. Please review the information provided here to ensure a safe return to the Museum for everyone.
Open Tuesday through Sunday, 9:30 am – 5:00 pm
Closed all state-observed holidays
Main Lobby Desk:
Admission to the New York State Museum is free. However, your support plays a vital role in the success of the Museum’s mission. Suggested donation: $5 per individual or $10 per family.
Updates and Changes to Museum Galleries and Facilities
Galleries Open for Visitors
- New York Metropolis Hall—The World Trade Center, Henry DiSpirito: Stonemason to Sculptor, Ice Ages, Black Capital: Harlem in the 1920s, Art for the People: Decorated Stoneware from the Weitsman Collection, and more!
- Adirondack Hall—Adirondack Wilderness, Beneath the City: An Archaeological Perspective of Albany, “a small fort, which our people call Fort Orange,” Artifacts for Activism, Minerals of New York, and more!
- Bird Hall
- Cohoes Mastodon
- Fire Engine Hall
- Ice Ages
- Native Peoples Hall
- Discovery Place
- 4th Floor Terrace Gallery/Carousel
- Museum Shop
- Museum Café
We apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.
For Your Health & Safety
The Museum is
- Disinfecting and cleaning to meet CDC guidelines.
- Providing hand sanitizer stations throughout the building.
Important Visitor Precautions
- Face masks are required for all visitors (vaccinated or unvaccinated) ages 2 and older in public spaces, elevators, and restrooms in the CEC.
- Stay home if feeling sick or have symptoms of COVID-19; have been diagnosed with COVID-19 within the past 14 days; or have been in close contact (within 6 feet for 10 minutes or more) with someone infected with or experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 within the past 14 days.
- Properly discard any soiled disposable protective gear in trash receptacles.
- Keep a distance of 6 feet from others who aren’t in your household.
- Refrain from touching exhibits or objects in the Museum galleries.
- Follow good hand-cleaning hygiene and cough/sneeze practices.
Parking and Amenities
Parking is available in the Madison Avenue Lot adjacent on the west side of the Museum, accessed from Madison Avenue. The parking fee from Monday to Friday is $10, with free entry after 2:00 p.m. and on the weekends. An additional paid parking visitor lot, V-LOT (P-3) is available under the Empire State Plaza Concourse. Limited metered street parking is also available.
For additional parking information, visit: https://empirestateplaza.ny.gov/parking/
- Public restrooms are available on the first floor of the Museum.
- To promote reduced contact, drinking fountains are temporarily unavailable.
- While the Museum Café and Shop are temporarily closed, food and additional amenities can be obtained on the Concourse Level of the Empire State Plaza. Please note, food and/or drinks are not allowed in the Museum galleries.
New York State Museum
Cultural Education Center
222 Madison Avenue
Albany, NY 12230