NYS Council for the Social Studies Convention
We are looking for outstanding presenters for the 2020 NYSCSS Convention which will be held March 12-14, 2020, at the Albany Capital Center, in Albany, New York.
Convention Theme: "Think Global. Act Local."
Strands and Essential Questions:
How do we encourage learners to become active citizens and community members? Session topics could include: social action research, community service, project based learning with community partners, service learning, media literacy, educational campaigns, women’s history, local councils roundtable.
Innovation and Ideas
How do we empower students through technology to think creatively and share ideas? Session topics could include: flipped classroom, social media strategies, digital portfolios, increasing student engagement with technology, games, tools, best practices, technology roundtable.
How do we guide students to see history through connections that demonstrate continuity and change over time? Session topics could include: international cooperation, global conflicts, imperialism, decolonization, social movements, struggles for power, geography, CR/ST roundtable.
How do we prepare all students to participate in a global economy and society? Session topics could include: economics, human rights, impacts of technology on society, harnessing the power of ELL/MLL student experiences, NGO roundtable.
Your proposal for a presentation will be evaluated based on the following:
- How strongly is your presentation aligned to the Convention theme, strands and the overall mission of NYSCSS?
- How strongly does your presentation integrate research-based practices?
- How well does your session promote active participation?
- How valuable will your session be to participants?
- Will your session provide both tips and tools?
In addition, whether you have presented at a NYSCSS Convention before will be taken into consideration. Also, please be reminded that teachers, school districts/BOCES/charter schools, and not-for-profit organizations will be given preference over commercial/for-profit organizations.
- Proposals will be accepted until October 1, 2019, 11:59 pm.
- Presentations will begin at 9 AM and will last 60 or 120 minutes (Saturday clinics only).
- Each room will have an LCD projector & screen.
- Free internet access will be available. Please provide your own laptop.
- All other equipment must be provided by the presenter.
- Presenters will be contacted by late December if their presentation is accepted.
***Please Note: All Presenters must be NYSCSS members, register, and pay for the conference!!
Please share this Request for proposals information with colleagues that you feel would enhance our Convention.
Whether you'd like to be a presenter, a reviewer, or an attendee, we look forward to seeing you in Albany March 12-14, 2020 at the Albany Capital Center at our Convention!